Mango is a fruit that always makes me dream of laying on the beach on a tropical island. I don’t eat it that often (not sure why not), but everytime I do, it takes me away to a happy place!
This smoothie will make your skin glow from the inside out. All of the orange fruits/vegetables are particularly good at reducing inflammation. So mangoes, turmeric + some added grass-fed collagen make this a brilliant skin cleansing smoothie.
Mangoes have LOADS of other health benefits too. A one cup serving contains 100 calories, along with high amounts of vitamin C, E, A, B6 and folate, and gut-healthy prebiotic fibre.
Other benefits include:
1. Rich in antioxidants. Quercetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, fisetin & gallic acid are free radical scavingers
2. Alkalises the body. Tartaric acid, malic acid and traces of citric acid help keep the body alkaline
3. Digestion friendly. Mangoes contain enzymes that help break down protein.
4. Immune boosting. Vitamin C & E, plus other carotenoids assist in immune system function
5. Eye care. Mangoes are high in Vitamin A, required for healthy eyes. Optimal amounts of vitamin A (and C, E too) can promote good eye sight, prevent dry eyes, risk of cataracts and other eye related diseases.
6. Promotes weight loss. Mangoes are full of nutrition, fibre and water, all of which keep you satisfied and full longer.
7. Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels. Because of the fibre, pectin and high levels of vitamin C, mangoes aid liver function, which controls cholesterol production in the body.
They are also a good source of potassium, which helps control blood pressure and heart rate.
This super delicious recipe combines the health benefits of mango with the ultimate superfood – TURMERIC. It may not sound like a prize-winning combo, but try it before you wrinkle your nose. The full-fat coconut milk provides healthy saturated fats and a crazy creaminess too.
MANGO TURMERIC SMOOTHIE
1 mango, skinned and chopped
1 carrot, chopped
2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
Optional: 2 tbsp grass-fed collagen (I added this for extra protein, skin & joint nourishment)
1. Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender. Add ice or more liquid if you prefer.
2. Drink, enjoy and glow!