Mould Toxicity

Could mould be making me sick?

What Is 

Mould Toxicity?

Over recent years, there has been more and more awareness around the effects of mould on human health.

Mould toxicity is a condition in which an individual is overexposed to mould and becomes ill. It is not the mould that makes one ill, but the mycotoxins, which are essentially poisons released from mould. Anyone can become sick from overexposure to mycotoxins, however many people will recover from it once they move out or remediate the affected house or workplace. There are, unfortunately, some people who are genetically predisposed to becoming more ill from biotoxins. Those with the genetic halo-type HLA-DR are more likely to have trouble detoxing mycotoxins, which ultimately leads to a systemic condition known as ‘chronic inflammatory response syndrome’ (CIRS).

Mould produces mycotoxin spores that stick in the air, anything porous, in sinuses, lungs and mucous membranes. Over time they reproduce and circulate, and can be harmful to an individual’s health. They can stick around in clothing, bedding, curtains or even mattresses and pillows for a very long time – the continued exposure making the individual more and more ill.

The symptoms of mould toxicity (also called ‘mould illness’ or ‘toxic mould syndrome’) are often vague – like fatigue, memory problems, gut issues and muscle aches. It can be easy to attribute these to other causes. People often don’t know they’re living or working in mould, or making the connection that mould could be making them sick. So mould toxicity often goes unrecognised.

Mould Toxicity Signs & Symptoms

1

Chronic sinus congestion

2

Coughing, chest pain

3

Brain fog, confusion, poor memory

4

Anxiety, depression or low mood

5

Mood swings

6

Catch colds and flu often (mycotoxins suppress the immune system)

7

Weakness, Joint pain, muscle aches and cramps

8

Numbness and tingling

9

Odd tics and spasms and seizure-like events

10

Headaches

11

Insomnia, sleep disruptions

12

Skin & eye irritation, dry eyes

13

Sensitivity to electrical shocks

14

Skin sensitivity to light touch

15

Sensitivity to bright light

16

Metallic taste in the mouth

17

Frequent urination, unusual bed-wetting in children

18

Fatigue

19

Histamine intolerance

20

Overly sensitive to chemicals, scents, perfumes, etc.

21

Body temperature dysregulation

mould toxicity

How do I know if mould is making me sick?

The symptoms of mold toxicity vary from person to person. People living or working in the same water-damaged building may have different symptoms. Further, some individuals may not be noticeably affected by the mould.

Some factors that may affect your susceptibility to mold include your toxin load, health status, and length of exposure. Genetics can also make a difference, the HLA-DR halotype discussed above, being one of them.

This doesn’t mean that healthy individuals with the ‘right’ genes won’t get ill from mould exposure. A severe mould problem can affect healthy individuals. However, sensitive individuals with certain genes may be affected from smaller amounts of mycotoxins.

HOW DO I TEST MYSELF  FOR MOULD TOXICITY?

Unless you have proof there is mould in your environment, it can be difficult to know if mould and biotoxins are contributing to your poor health.

There is simple functional nutrition testing that identify mycotoxins and environmental toxicity exposure.

HOW CAN NUTRITION HELP WITH MOULD TOXICITY?

The foods you eat can either help or hinder your recovery from mould toxicity.

Optimising nutrition can aid in mould toxicity recovery by supporting detoxification, restoring gut health and reducing inflammation caused by toxic mould exposure.

Is Mould Toxicity Reversible?

Yes. The good news is that mould illness is treatable and, with the right protocol, most individuals get better within months.

Get started with my FREE Beginner’s Guide to Mould Toxicity.

Get the Mould Toxicity Guide
Opt In